Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Umami

Call me what you want but I think our wine has a strong umami!
If you haven't heard about umami yet, don't despair, grab the opportunity I'm presenting to discover it :-)
In one sentence, it is the fifth taste after sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Longer explanation here.
Our wines are consistently characterised as savoury and I just had an Eureka moment :-)) This is it! It is umami!
St Imre fans describe it as "I just can't stop drinking it", "mmm...mmm I want another glass", tz-tz-tz...this goes well with any food I've paired it", "ahhh... this is moreish", "delicious", "different", "this is the best I've tried EVER", "I just had to come in to buy again"...
Paul describes it as minimal intervention winemaking. The reflection of the true character of the fruit and terroir. Our dry (not irrigated) vineyard, the use of only natural elements (Copper and Sulphur) to control diseases. Hand picked grapes destemmed and crushed, inoculated with noble yeasts. Wine fermented in open wooden vats or food-grade plastic and glass. No fining and filtering only once before bottling or not filtered at all. Aged in -exclusively- old barrels to prevent the oak taste overpowering the fruit. Minimum quantities of preservative or no preservative at all if the year permits.
Folks, I describe it as having umami.
You can read more about it here and here
and here and here .

No comments: