Saturday, May 23, 2009

2009 Harvest (Long time since I wrote)

Very busy weeks are behind and ahead of us.
I hardly have time to breathe let alone update the blog :-( School assignments are coming hard and fast and we started the harvest. So I spend my time with my head in the books and running around, up and down rows of ripe grapes.
The whites are IN, apart from the Chardonnay. They need a few more sunny days. Picking was done in 4 days with the help of Miklos from Hobart, Barbara from Austria , Edwin from Singapore and the four-legged ones.
Quantity is more. Just because this is the first year of picking from the young ones :-) Quality as better than expected! With all that rain and cold... it is a miracle sugar and acidity. Paul is busy in the cellar making them bubble (ferment) and squeak (under the press) :-))
I had to buy a new bread maker because the old one died on me. Beauuuut...this is the result.
The native hens managed a new brood :-) Third this year! This time 5 chicks. As you can see from the pic the national menace to all wildlife (aka. the cat) doesn't even rise an eyebrow to the presence of bite size chicks disturbing her morning cleaning ritual :-)
By for now. I have to go back to writing my therapeutic communication assignment (gee...don't I hate essay writing ?!) and next week we start picking the reds.

2 comments:

Esz said...

That's great news that the whites are so top notch! Nothing to worry about eh!

Hehehe I like the four-legged helpers ;-)

Andras said...

Hey Guys,

You had very much efforts with your vineyard! I can see it since I have had one (in small) before. It would be a pleasure to have some words sometime in the future.
I have an idea - some wine business - which requires me to dig deeper, picking up some expert's advice.

Best Regards

Andras, Brisbane